Sunday, August 30, 2009

Gumshoe Sentinels?

Here I am once again a touch chastened. There may have been some ready, fire, aim in my assertion in the previous entry that we need to relentlessly ferret out error in out thinking. Well, of course we need to find error and get rid of it, but an excellent Journal article by L. Ivimy Gwalter, "What It Means To Be A Christian Scientist" (June 1970), makes some useful and perhaps corrective (for me) and refining points. The article focuses in part on the need for watching and shows that Mrs. Eddy very often couples prayer with watching as one way to meet and overcome error, false belief. One needs to go no farther than page one, paragraph one, of Science and Health for a QED of Mrs. Gwalter's observation.

On the other hand, no where that I can recall does Mrs. Eddy admonish us to unite as a band of Chestnut Hill Irregulars, don our Holmesian deerstalkers, and set out (mentally, of course) to find a demon's spoor and drive a wooden stake in its evil heart when it is located (to mash together a couple of metaphors). As Pogo famously stated: "We has met the enemy, and it is us." If we watch our thinking faithfully, aggressive mental suggestion will show up soon enough (by definition), like the Blob. There are doubtless days for many of us when we may be up to our necks in mortal mind's malignant and nefarious blob of suggestions. Mrs. Eddy wastes no time in Science and Health telling us what we can do to take these serpents by the tail, snake by snake, and start our own collection of sturdy staffs upon which we can lean in the future.

20 comments:

Des Moines, Iowa said...

I must admit, our title drew me in right away. I am a newcomer, someone recommended your website, and I can see what they were talking about. You are indeed a fresh face on the CS scene. Intend to go back and read many of your postings.
I like this one. So original.

L. R. said...

It's me again--another comment on another fine blog post. Goodness you are keeping at it. Appreciate the most unusualy way you present religious musings.
Thanks!

From the desert southwest said...

There is no one out here writing (thinking, first) like you for sure. Always know I'm going to get something on CS that's fresh and well expressed.
Your titles are quite interesting, to say the least.

Nameless--like you! said...

I do get a kick out of your blog posts. So different from anything else I am reading. How right you are that Science and Health gives us everything we need to have to defeat the serpents of error.
A big thank-you.

Greetings from Australia said...

Well done, blogger. Always get something worthwhile from reading your posts, and I often am turned in the direction of the dictionary. Quite a vocabulary you've got there!

W. T. (Boston) said...

I've been reading your blog for many months and I do believe you are growing in grace. Have not always liked what you post, but am seeing more humility, less self-righteousness.
Just thought I'd say this.

San Diego said...

You do keep company with the big guns, don't you? Gwalter is at the top of my list, too. Will read again that article you mention next time I serve in the RR.
Thanks.

Cambridge regular said...

An interesting offering, this. Had to read it through twice to get your message clearly in mind. I agree with you that if we're listening to God, He will reveal what error is trying to do. (Not quite the way you put it, but what I get from your post.)
You're one busy blogger.

A friend in AZ said...

Another great one blogger! One of the VERY best articles on ferreting out what REALLY needs to be handled is Peter B. Vanderhoef's 1991 Journal article: "Getting to the Core of the case"!!

Hartford, CT said...

Really, really like the way you think and write. Having divine Science every day to help me overcome all kinds of difficulties is such a blessing, any help we can get in practicing better is something to be grateful for. And I'm grateful for what you are doing.

Best from Scotland said...

Very well done, as I usually find with yours, blogger. Yes, what God revealed to Mary Baker Eddy and what she selflessly gave to the world gives us everything we need to overcome mortal mind's lies, to wake up from this dream of life in matter.
Thanks much,

Anon...for now said...

Thanks for a most interesting little essay. Should be of help to your readers in digging more deeply into CS.

Nashville said...

Picking up on something a previous commenter said, how can we thank God enough for His dear Son, and for the Science that explains how Jesus did what he did?
You have an uplifting blog.

Somewhere near Boston said...

Goodmorning blogger,
You're to be commended for using your talent in such a holy enterprise. And congratulations on beginning a second year of blogging.

Patrick said...

In a way, it's a shame you choose not to contribute to the periodicals, but I can understand why: they would take out of your pieces what make them so readable, unique. But then, your website reaches far and wide, so many are getting to enjoy your talent.

E. B. said...

You have obviously written a book or two (or more). Wish I knew your name and I'd get to read same. But then, you still wish to remain anonymous, I presume.
Anyway, for now really like reading your blog posts.

A secret admirer said...

You know what I've been thinking? That you have such a successful blog because you are focusing on presenting clear Christian Science, no matter what people may think. Pleasing God is what motivates you, not trying to placate those who have sold out in order to be popular with the masses.
Keep hewing to Principle!

All the best to you said...

Dear Blogger,
Another fine contribution to the well-being of CS's and I thank you for using your considerable abilities on our behalf.

God bless said...

Someone who commented on the blog post previous to this one (like this one as well) happened to mention they see the humility in you. I do, too. Any follower of Jesus is not going to feel better than others, not be self-righteous, but consider himself or herself the servant of all those who are in need.
Thanks,

Portland CS said...

Just catching up on your excellent essays. Have read the past several. You do write extremely well, and I thank you for all you are putting out to the world.