What are some of the signs that instead of diligent daily study and practice of Christian Science one may be mired instead in a mesmerizing material stupor?
1. Science and Health and the Bible (the books) are not studied daily.
2. On the rare occasions when Science and Health is read straight through, parts like the platform, "Some Objections Answered", the trial, and the "Glossary" are avoided or skimmed over.
3. Prose Works is seldom read cover to cover or has never been.
4. The King James Version of the Bible is avoided and not studied continually with the aid of a good Bible commentary, such as Dummelow or The Interpreters One Volume Commentary. S&H is keyed, after all, to the KJV.
5. One accomplishes his daily study by means of a brisk walk through the full-text edition of the Bible Lessons.
6. One deludes himself that faithfully warming a cushion in church every Sunday and Wednesday is evidence of being a Christian Scientist.
7. Plans for tiffin after the Sunday service occupy more of one's thoughts than the service itself.
8. Doing what pleases fellow church members is more important than discovering and doing what pleases God.
9. One indulges in idle and audible chitchat about golf and gardening, football and food, cars and canning in the church lobby before services.
10. One devotes more attention and enthusiasm to church redecoration projects than to the quality of the Readers and reading in the services.