Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Remarkable Incident

At the risk of taking the lid off of something which would be better off left tightly capped, the following occurence from World War I is quoted:
"I was eating my dinner in a trench with several comrades. Suddenly a voice seemed to be saying to me, 'Get up and go over there'. It was so clear and insistent that I obeyed mechanically, as if it had been a military order. I rose at once to my feet and walked 20 yards along the trench, carrying my dinner in its tin-can with me. Then I sat down to go on eating, my mind being once more at rest. Hardly had I done so when a flash and a deafening report came from the part of the trench I had just left. A stray shell had burst over the group in which I had been sitting, and every member of it was killed."

No desire to be coy is intended, but it might be useful to leave things at this point to ferment for a couple of days. As is, would this be a suitable Wednesday Meeting testimony? It certainly doesn't mention God, prayer, or Christian Science. Was the voice speaking God? If not who or what?

The query under consideration is: Are all instances of protection and healing in the lives of faithful Christian Scientists unquestionably Truth at work?

One might profitably compare the above event to a very similar W.W.I incident related in an article in the October 6,1951, Sentinel by John S. Sammons, "Safety Wherever You Are". This article was also reprinted in one of those wonderful old pocket pamphlets of the same title.

No comments: